On October 25th and 26th, 1975, Elton John experienced what he says was the "peak of my career up 'til then" when he didtwo shows at Dodger Stadiumin Los Angeles.
But, the shows almost didn't happen.
Playing before 55,000 people each night, both shows featured two sets for a nightly total of 31 songs.
He was the first act to perform in the stadium since The Beatles in 1966, and he tipped his sequined baseball cap to the Fab Four by doing "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "I Saw Her Standing There."
Both shows were opened by Emmylou Harris and the James Gang (with Joe Walsh).
Elton John Dodger Stadium set list:
- Your Song- solo
- I Need You to Turn To - solo
- Border Song - with band for the rest of the show
- Take Me to the Pilot
- Dan Dare (Pilot of the Future)
- Country Comfort
- Rocket Man
- Empty Sky
- Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
- Bennie and the Jets
- Dixie Lily
- Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
- Bitter Fingers
- Someone Saved My Life Tonight
- The Bitch Is Back (w/Billie Jean Kingjoining background singers)
- Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me (played during sunset)
- (Gotta Get A) Meal Ticket
- Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
- I Saw Her Standing There
- Island Girl
- Philadelphia Freedom
- We All Fall in Love Sometimes/Curtains (w/James Cleveland Choir)
- Tell Me When the Whistle Blows (w/James Cleveland Choir)
- Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting) (w/James Cleveland Choir)
- Pinball Wizard