Aerosmith guitarist Brad Whitford isn't holding his breath for the band to tour again anytime soon -- if at all.
Appearing on fellow guitarist Joe Bonamassa's YouTube series Live From Nerdville, he said, "The European tour, they tried to plan one last year, and they're talking about next year. It's a pipe dream right now. Nothing's gonna happen for a long time. Sometimes I'm not sure what my partners are thinking when they think that's gonna happen...
"There's another interesting thing about going to Europe now because of Brexit — it's so much harder to get work visas because of that. That's gonna be a whole other nightmare. I mean, I have my doubts about Aerosmith ever really performing again at this stage, because age is becoming a real factor. And it is what it is."
Aerosmith have been in a steady decline since 2009 for various reasons. Among them are:
- All five members have had various health issues and surgeries, resulting in canceled tour dates
- Steven Tyler went back to rehab, and the band looked for a new singer before eventually mending fences with Tyler
- Tyler became a judge on American Idol, which caused tension with his bandmates
- They recorded a new album, Music From Another Dimension, which tanked
- Tyler recorded a country album and toured behind it
- In 2017 they launched their Aero-Vederci Baby tour, but insisted it wasn't a farewell tour
- They said they would do a 50th anniversary tour in 2019, but instead did a residency in Las Vegas
- They postponed their European tour to next summer, and, it was recently announced that their 50th anniversary show at Boston's Fenway Park has been rescheduled for a second time. Originally set for last year and then this September, it's been moved to September 8th, 2022. Meanwhile, Billy Joel is going ahead with his show at Fenway on August 4th.
And as far as age is concerned, while they aren't getting any younger, they're still reasonably young as far as bands from the '70s go. Tyler is 73,Joe Perry and drummer Joey Kramer are 70, and Whitford and bassist Tom Hamilton are 69.