Click HERE for the full story!
Slingshot into space: Startup CATAPULTS projectile into space from a supersonic centrifuge as an environmentally-friendly alternative to fuel-based rockets
- California-based start-up SpinLaunch has completed an alternative rocket launch test flight in New Mexico
- Its prototype suborbital accelerator system successfully catapulted a projectile into space on October 22
- The system works by attaching a rocket to a giant rotating arm inside a massive vacuum-sealed centrifuge
- Arm then spins the orbital launch vehicle at several times the speed of sound before releasing it into the air
- SpinLaunch now plans to upscale the system, which at 165ft is currently even taller than the Statue of Liberty